Friday, 1 October 2010

French classes

Time to update this blog with more than just trips back to 80s aussie music...

I've just finished 4 weeks of my french classes and I am loving them. I go every school morning (that is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) between 930 and 1100am. This gives me just enough time to drop the kids off at school, have coffee, prepare lunch, go to class, come home from class, finish lunch preparations and go back and get the kids from school for lunch. Two afternoons a week, I have been roped into english conversation lessons with two local women which I am enjoying giving. Add to this, the occasional extra child at lunchtime, swimming lessons, music and double-bass lessons for Lily and life is very very busy.

The french classes are great and I am so glad to have found them. Although the students are not obliged to come every day, there is a core group of about six of us (all women) who are there most, if not all, days. We come from all over - Asia, Eastern Europe, Western Europe and the UK (well, they're part of Europe but anyway...). Although some us speak english, our common language is french. We are part of group 3 (out of 3 groups) and all have a pretty good level of french...enough to permit us to joke around and really get involved in our classes. It can be hard to get a word in sometimes! Our teachers are mostly retired teachers and we have the same teacher for each day of the week... a Monday teacher, a Tuesday teacher and so on. This allows some continuity of teaching even though there is no set curriculum as such.

As for my progress, I don't know if it shows in my speech, but I do feel like I am making some. If not, at least I am having a lot of fun and making new friends. And I think I finally understand the rule about when to accord the past participle with the Complément d'Objet Direct, which I have never been able to understand, so that *must* mean I am making progress!!

3 comments:

deuxoutroischoses said...

That sounds wonderful! I'm so glad that your classes are going so well, it sounds like there's a really nice atmosphere with the other people too so that's great.

screamish said...

"the rule about when to accord the past participle with the Complément d'Objet Direct"


...example, please!

Penny said...

2ou3 - I think the class makes all the difference for me. I am much happier with a group of other students.

Screamish - ok, here's one I prepared earlier...I think its right...not so sure about the "etaient" but because the COD is before the verb, we accord the past participle.

Les galettes que j'ai mangées étaient délicieuses.