Friday, 4 June 2010

.

I woke from my drug induced sleep this morning at 7am to the sound of a circular saw. At first I thought it was the work starting on our roof. Our building is covered in scaffolding and they are due to start the roof next week. But it wasn't. It was much worse.

When I went downstairs I saw that the building across the canal from us had been gutted by fire overnight...the restaurant, at least two apartments, one of which I had watched them restore over the last few months. Luckily, it appears no one was seriously injured, although 13 people were taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and 40 were evacuated. My neighbours tell me the flames were horrifying. Apparently the firemen were on our balcony but I didn't hear a thing. I am almost glad I slept through it and only have to see the aftermath. But my heart goes out to those poor people who've lost their homes and jobs this morning. I know this is one of the risks of living in the old town but seeing this poor burnt building really brings it home...

4 comments:

screamish said...

drug induced sleep...? firemen on your balcony??? crazy times in Annency for sure....

I hate seeing the aftermath of fires...always so relieved when I learn there are no victims...

theSpacemom said...

oh no! How horrible!
I hope those families can find new homes quickly!


WHen I take meds to sleep, I could also sleep through that!

Rosebank Magic said...

They must be really strong medications! but then you also sleep at the other end of the apartment don't you?
Poor people - just think how horrible it would be to lose everything. No doubt you will be interested to hear the cause of the fire.
Anyway - I'm glad it was the other side of the canal.

Penny said...

Well, given the atrocious nights sleep I had last night, I'm starting to think I slept through all the noise simply to due a combination of fatigue and good double glazing (and yes, its the opposite end of the apartment to the bedrooms). Lots of rumours about the cause of the fire but it seems to have started in the restaurant and spread upwards very quickly.

Spacemom, I think the Mairie (town council) rehouses people when this happens...

Screamish, I'm amazed (and a little disappointed) that I slept through the firemen - one neighbour repeating told me how good looking the one on our balcony was! And of course they have those lovely shiny helmets!

Still very sad to see the burnt out building though... I couldn't eat lunch on the balcony yesterday, it just seemed disrespectful to be out there when only days ago we could just about say coucou to the people on the restaurant's terrace and the neighbours upstairs putting the last lovely coats of paint on their renovations :-(