Sunday, 14 June 2009

Lost in translation!

Here's an interesting article from the BBC about faux-amis and other misunderstandings. My favourite part is as follows:

"The other day I was reading an article in a French newspaper about how we regularly mishear words, particularly in foreign languages, and how that completely changes our comprehension of the conversation.

The writer spoke of a British acquaintance of his who was struck when he arrived in France by how much the French seemed to talk about Johnny Marr, the Smiths' guitarist.

Until the writer realised what his friend was actually hearing was "J'en ai marre (I'm sick of it)".


Hee, hee!

4 comments:

screamish said...

yes now the question is, did Johnny Marr actually make up his name or not? still arguing about htis at home....must research this...

Rochelle said...

Haha, I always make the joke about the Smiths with this! I thought I was alone!

Penny said...

Screamish - I never knew that!

Rochelle - I never made the connection at all and God knows I say "j'en ai marre" enough! Hope you're doing well - I miss reading your blog! :)

Rochelle said...

Hey Penny- I'm still reading blogs but I just put all of my posts onto private and having been blogging myself..I had a French blockage for some time, I just couldn't even write a sentence in French! But I think it's coming back to me, slowly but I don't know if I will keep blogging, I'm getting shyer and shyer! But I'm still reading! :) I might do a post just before October, I'll have some news then!