Thursday, 14 May 2009

Do yourself a favour*


If you're in Australia, run out and buy a copy of this month's Women's Weekly - it has two fantastic broccoli recipes in it. Its the one with Olivia Newton-John and her daughter on the cover. Now personally, I think our Livvie could use a lesson in growing old gracefully but I digress...

We all love broccoli here and eat it almost every day, either as a main meal or as a veg on the side. But now I have two great recipes to add to my repertoire of broccoli pasta and broccoli risotto. The first one I tried was the Broccoli, Pancetta and Blue Cheese gratin. I changed the pancetta for lardons (bacon pieces) and the blue cheese for gruyère and they all loved it. Its a really good dish to prepare earlier and just heat up. I set the timer on my oven to cook it while we were coming home from gymnastics (Lily riding her bike and me running - I really need to buy a bike now!).

The second dish is Fish and Broccoli pie - made with salmon, haddock, boiled eggs and broccoli. We're having it for lunch today and its only half prepared right now, but I can tell just by the ingredients that its going to taste really good. That's the Fish and Broccoli pie picture above that I nicked from the AWW site. Yum!

* Ah, you can take the girl out of Australia, but a childhood of watching Countdown can never be lost!

4 comments:

screamish said...

funny..was thinking about Molly Meldrum just the other day! strange it is but Ive seen womans Weekly cookbooks all over the world, mainly in airports...how is Olivia Newtron Bomb lately, havent seen a photo of her for years, must google her

Thrifted Treasure said...

Thanks for the tip, sounds yum!! The more ways I can hide broccoli in our dinners the better!

Penny said...

Screamish - she's looking a bit too wrinkle free really! Now in years to come you'll have to get yourself the Womens Weekly birthday cake book to surprise all the french kids who are used to very plain un-aussie style cakes!

TT - its definitely worth a look. The pie takes a lot of preparation but is worth it in the end :)

Chez Speedies said...

I meant to ask you about the broccoli recipes but I forgot...I agree with Thrifted Treasure any ways you can hide vege the better