Sunday, 22 March 2009

Almost three!

I thought I would give a little update in Jasper's speak as its taken a real leap lately. Its hard not to compare him to Lily as she was quite an early talker, although she only spoke english at his age, of course. His english is now getting really good - in fact, he doesn't shut up! But its his french that has noticeably improved in the last month or so. Until now, he's said a few words in french but never really joined them together much before our recent holiday. Now all of a sudden he can put together whole sentences. The other day he said "cette croissant, c'est pour moi". I was really amazed as he has learned french in a different manner to which he learned english. With english like most kids, he started out with single words then joined two and then three together and so on. With french, it seems he's been taking it all in while saying little and now can just come out with complete sentences. While he's not yet at the level of your average french three-year-old, he's certainly on his way. Its very interesting (if you're his mother!). And it makes me all the more confident in his ability to express himself and stand up for himself when he starts school at the rentrée.

8 comments:

Chez Speedies said...

Penny, you must be so proud of Jasper with his language skills. I think it's fantastic. We are into our seventh month of our 12 month stay in France and my kids are still rejecting anything to do with France. It's depressing.

Milie said...

With school and lots of kids around, for sure he will learn even faster!
Well done Jasper ;-0

Penny said...

Thanks Milie! This will all be ahead of you soon :-)

Anne!! How did I miss that you had started a blog? I didn't realize you were here - we sort of dropped out of contact. I'll find some time today to have a read through and see how much life has changed since you all left Mount Isa :-)

screamish said...

Mount Isa? to France! wow.

I need to pick your brains jenny about this bilingual stuff....the girls are 6 months old and already ive been hesitating when out and about...I speak English to them at home but already some people are reacting weird if i dont speak to them in French in front of them....

Chez Speedies said...

Penny, I feel a bit silly because I've been reading your blog the whole time and really enjoying your stories. We had a night in Annecy in January and I kept telling Andrew I wanted to get in touch as a fellow aussie en france but then I sort of chickened out and thought it might be a bit intrusive

Chez Speedies said...

Penny, I forgot to thank you for your comments. It's so nice to get feedback. With the language thing, I have to give a lot of credit to Andrew for his communications skills. There is so much more to language than just words. Between us Andrew and I somehow manage to do the things we need to do.

Penny said...

Ah Anne - you know, you should have got in touch! I like meeting up with bloggers (especially aussie ones!).

:)

misschris said...

Good for him! And you're right. He'll gain so much confidence when he starts school next year.