Friday, 19 December 2008

The Purse-snatcher

I have to preface this by saying two things. Firstly, I have been going to the Monoprix in the centre of town every few days for over 18 months now and secondly, there are some very nice people who work there, a couple of whom, always take the time to ask how I am, how the kids are etc. Sadly there are also a couple of right bitches who work there. Obviously this post is about the latter....

So, I am paying and the cashier asks me if I have the 42 centimes. I do and start to get it out. Before handing it over I realize I've made a mistake and was about to give her 82 centimes (like many newish expats, I still have problems with numbers in the 80s and for me this extends to the 40s as well as they have 4s in them just like the 80s do!). So, I fish around and give her what I think is 42 centimes. Bear in mind, this all happened fast, its not like I took very long. But I was wrong. I'd given her two 50 centimes pieces. So I go to take it back to correct it and she reaches out to take my purse from me to do it herself as obviously, being a silly foreigner, I am useless.

Well, I tell you, those french lessons must have been paying off as for once my french came out quickly and (I think) accurately. "No", I said, moving my purse out of her reach and pointing to my change, "give that back to me please. I know the money well, I just made a mistake". And I handed back over my 42 centimes (fortunately correct this time!). Score one for me! Silly cow!

6 comments:

Andromeda said...

That is so rude! I always get caught up on the question with discount cards, and coupons and stuff. They talk so fast, and everyone is behind you waiting, just too much pressure!

Rochelle said...

Wow you were pretty diplomatic about it! Although what else can one say in such a situation? Were the other shoppers shocked?

The Telfers In France said...

Do you know how to say silly cow in French??!
There are always people waiting behind in the supermarket queue, and I feel really slow (ok, am really slow) packing my own bags. In Australia the checkout assistant packs the bags, whereas here they just sit and watch you, waiting for you to hand over the money and move out of the way so the next customer can go through.

Anne said...

I find the little coins really really annoying. I have to turn them over to see what they are, now THAT takes time. But otherwise I find everyone amazingly patient and they wait till we're packed and off before they continue serving the next customer (that's if I've remembered to take the bags of course!)

La casa nella prateria said...

What a stupid person...

HeatherC said...

Good job! I still pay with the bank card so I don't have to worry about counting out money. When I do pay in cash, I never seem to use anything less then a Euro. you should see the amount of change building up here.