Wednesday, 5 November 2008

The next step...

What an exciting result. I barely slept last night, what with Lily's nightmares and Jasper's drinks of water having me out of bed every couple of hours. Then, I'd check the news and go back to bed wide awake. Sometime there, I decided to stop checking so I was so thrilled to see the news this morning. It feels such a momentous day, full of promise...

Which is probably why I finally plucked up the courage to do something about my french today. I've been wanting to take a class since I got here but its really only been possible for the last six months or so, as Jasper now takes a nice long nap in the afternoon that leaves me with enough free time. I loved doing my classes at Alliance Française back in Brisbane. There are two language schools in Annecy but their shortest courses are 12 or 15 hours a week, rather than just the couple of hours I'd like to do.

I've known the solution for a long time. There is a very good french tutor here that many people I know have recommended. So, its weird that its taken me this long to ring her. My french took a good leap over summer, as a result of hanging out with my lovely french friends. But I am rather lazy and apart from reading the paper every few days and the odd book, I really don't work at it. That's fine if I want to continue progressing as I am but I feel like its really time to do something and to be a bit more disciplined about it.

So, the call is made and I'll be meeting her in about 10 days...

6 comments:

misschris said...

Yay! The results definitely made my day.

I went to the school in Annecy for part of one term. It's really expensive! I enjoyed it but had to drop out to start working. It's definitely fun to be in a classroom but I think a tutor is better if you're advanced.

La casa nella prateria said...

That's a good idea!

Justin said...

I set my alarm so I could wake up and check the results for the first few states and ended up being up from 1-3AM... then wake back up just in time for Obama's acceptance speech!!!

Congrats on finding the motivation again! I need to get back on the ball... I have just been enjoying the nice level I am at, but still need to progress!

Anonymous said...

Yay for Obama, i can't even imagine how scary it would be to have Sarah Palin anywhere near the White House. And with McCain being as old as he is i had this fear that if he got in he'd die during his term and Palin would be the head honcho!! AARGGHHH

Anyway enough about politics - thanks so much for Sahara's birthday pressie - she was very excited to get a parcel from France yesterday and has gone to kindy today with pigtails with her new hairbands and clips. She looks very cute :o)

Will attempt to put some party photos up on FB this weekend - don't seem to have time to do anything lately. Summer has hit here finally and we just seem to have so much on!!

Anyway - chat soon
K
xx

Diane said...

I was assigned 300 hours of classes by the prefecture when I went for my interview for my Carte de Sojour. I have been going since September 1st and I am really enjoying it. My teacher is great and I feel like I learn more and more every day. Since I spend a lot of time alone at home and D and I only speak English I knew that I would never learn if I didnt do something like this. I cant wait till I canactually take part in a conversation and UNDERSTAND what people are saying to me. Good luck with your tutoring!

Penny said...

Thanks Chris. I would rather do a class but I think I'll probably learn more with a tutor.