Wednesday, 25 June 2008

A day in Marseille

I took a day trip to Marseille today to spend some time with my friend Spacemom. We've "known" each other for over seven years but have never met before today. Its a pretty long trip to do in one day but once I heard she was coming to France, I wasn't going to let a bit of distance or a clingy two year old stand in my way. Oh, did I make that clear? I went alone! Thanks to the assistance of Auntie Mimi and Uncle Michael who are here visiting, I got to leave the kids here and escape...

Spacemom and I had a wonderful time. We climbed up the hill of La Garde to see the basilica Notre-Dame de la Garde. Not only was it beautiful inside and out but there was the most amazing view of Marseille. It made it very clear that in four hours one can only scratch the tiniest bit of the surface of a city so diverse and interesting as Marseille. I would love to go back one day. After a really yummy lunch and a quick stop at the souvenir shop for the kids, it was time to head back to the train, via the icecream shop, where Spacemom got her first taste of nutella icecream! It was an amazing day and I'm just so thrilled that I was able to go.



Notre-Dame de la Garde

The Chateau d'If - one of the settings of the Count of Monte Cristo

Yes, if you look closely you will see that I am wearing a skirt - french fashion is finally starting to rub off on me.


3 comments:

Justin said...

wow, great pictures Penny! I still have not been to Marseille. Maybe this fall I will go for a long weekend.

Anonymous said...

OMG a trip all by yourself - to a whole other city no less. Geez i would settle for a trip to the shops or the movies by myself!!

Glad you enjoyed the day - hopefully you'll get back there again soon so you can see some more of Marseille.

K
xx

Rosebank Magic said...

You have been away from Australia for too long - we are all wearing skirts here too. Well, not everyone but certainly alot more than you would have seen a year ago. They look great, don't they?