Sunday, 1 June 2008

A Bout De Souffle

Last night, in between comforting a pissed-off Jasper, we watched the film "A Bout De Souffle". I'm embarrassed to say this is the first French New Wave film that I've ever seen. I cant say it was the most amazing acting, but Jean Seberg was lovely to look at and the clothes and scenes of France were really cool. Also it was the first french film I've ever watched, without subtitles, where I understood the vast majority of what was said. Maybe that's because a lot of what was said was in the vein of "I love you, I hate you, I want to have sex with you!". Not that hard to understand. Still, it was worth seeing. Now I need to see some of the others...

6 comments:

Grominou said...

I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't seen it, and have seen very few of the Nouvelle vague movies!

Well done!

Rosebank Magic said...

I haven't seen it either but I have certainly heard of it. Many of the french films of that era were considered to be rather 'racy'.
Jean Seberg was well known for that style of film.

Andromeda said...

Yay, you've found something you like that you can understand too! That makes it so much more fun and less like "studying" when watching something in French.

Le Tigre in France said...

As you know, I love this film! And it's the only French film where I can understand the dialogue because it's spoken slowly and simply enough so doubly good! It took me awhile to warm to Belmondo, actually when I first saw the film I hated him but after seeing Pierrot le Fou I really started to like him as an actor. Jean Seberg is certainly beautiful to watch, I'd really like to see an early film of her's called Bonjour Tristesse.

Penny said...

Le Tigre - I'll have to look out for Pierrot le Fou - it sounds interesting. In fact, I never see any of these films at the video store here but when my library membership comes up for renewal, I think I'll get the multimedia membership as they seem to have a lot of DVDs at our library. BTW, David tells me that Belmondo got much better as he got older...

And Bonjour Tristesse - I never realized there was a movie of that. we studied it in french at high school. I still have the book - I should dig it out and give it a try

:)

The Late Bloomer said...

I loved this movie, especially the first time I saw it... But I'm right there with you: I don't know very much about the French New Wave either! I'm a bit clueless when it comes to that period in film. But A bout de souffle is definitely a great flick!

You'll find it becomes easier with time to watch French films, though -- but even today I find that having subtitles, with DVDs for example, helps me out a lot, because I don't always catch everything.