Wednesday, 14 May 2008

I call this soup...


my Dr C special. Looks tasty, doesnt it?

We went back to the doctor today as Jasper's latest blood tests showed his iron stores have dropped again. Fortunately, we caught it before it got too bad and he is not anemic. But, he needs to take iron supplements again. Realistically, he should have stayed on them longer and I am a bit annoyed I didn't follow my gut and keep him on them despite the doctor's advice. He also hasn't put on much weight and his weight is quite low. His height and head circumference are almost 50th percentile on the french charts, so they are fine. Although, they are a bit lower on the aussie charts which must be based on strapping young aussie kids, I guess!

So we will re-start the iron and go back in two months for a weight check. In the meantime, I've been advised to stop breastfeeding (yeah, I'm trying buddy!) and to keep on feeding him iron rich foods as I have been doing. Which brings us to the rather unattractive soup above. I knew Dr C was a particular fan of lentils, his having mentioned them to me last time. And I have started adding them to my minestrone soups. He asked me again today, if I knew which was the most iron rich food. No, not liver as I guessed. But lentils, he assured me. And he advised me to make lentil salads. Well, the fridge was a little bare tonight so I made a pot of veggie soup containing all the leftover vegetables I had, combined with a clove of garlic (I ran out of onions) and about a cup of lentils and a beef stock cube. Boiled it all up for as long as it took me to clean the house and then puréed it. And do you know, we all had seconds. It was very tasty, despite its appearance.

So, if anyone has a french husband, please feel free to share your mother-in-law's recipe for however the french make salade des lentilles!

8 comments:

Rosebank Magic said...

Have you forgotten that I use lentils instead of barley or rice. I'm not sure if the red ones have the most iron or if they are just the ones we like best.
How about a pot of chicken, vegetable and lentil soup, use the stock from a boiling fowl (and some of the meat) and in the Le Creuset you would need to use 2 cups of lentils to make a super thick soup. The lentils dissolve during the long cooking and make it thick and creamy.
Enough cooking advice for this morning.
I'm with you on Subway.

Grominou said...

Try curry powder and a little bit of lemon juice in your lentils soup. Yummy!

My mom makes a lentils and apples salad that your kids should like, I'll email her for the recipe and get back to you...

Grominou said...

Ok, mom can't find the recipe... Basically, you boil the lentils until soft (but not mushy) then add a grated apple or two (peeled), olive oil (or the kind of oil your kids like) and vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar, but any good one will do), salt and pepper to taste... I believe there was diced celery in there, but I'm not sure. Chopped green onions, shallots or onions would be great as well if the kids like them. Let sit for at least an hour and eat at room temperature.

Penny said...

Thanks for the recipe Gen. I'll give it a try :)

The Late Bloomer said...

I'm not so wild about cold lentil salads, but I have to say that I have learned to LOVE lentil soup! Especially as comfort food in the winter... I like to just cook the lentils in water with some onions and some cubes of bullion (I wish I could say I prepare my own chicken or beef stock, but not yet, unfortunately!), and then mix it up in the blender. The best part is serving the soup with fresh cilantro leaves though -- it really adds a nice fresh punch to the rich soup, and it's such a great combination!

I had heard about the high iron content in lentils, too, so it's a good idea to add them into Jasper's diet as much as possible! I hope that will help increase his iron levels quick.

bros said...

I'm not french but.....

this recipe is very similar to the one my old (french) boss used to make. But NO black pudding. It was lovely with the free range eggs from our 15 chooks in the garden. I wish these lentils weren't so hard to find in country queensland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/rocketandpuylentilsa_87475.shtml

I remember cooking one out of an Alistair Little cook book - but I can't find a reference to the exact one on the web.

so - hope this iron tasitc feast goes well (eggs, lentils, bacon what more could you want!!)

bros said...

Oh Blast - why do they always cut it off???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/
database/
rocketandpuylentilsa_87475.shtml

you will have to stick it all together...sorry!

Penny said...

Thanks for the link Bros - I'll give it a try - minus the black pudding

Thanks LB - cilantro (or coriander as we aussies say) sounds great

:)