Friday, 23 May 2008

Happy times are here again

I had such a nice morning today. Nothing special, just the usual. But I seem to have rediscovered the magic of living here. Jasper and I dropped Lily at school and headed down to the vielle ville for coffee and a croissant. Bypassing some of our usual haunts, we picked up a takeaway croissant at a favourite boulangerie and went to a bar with a nice leafy outdoor area that catches has a little bit of sun in the mornings. I love that about being here - that no one gets angry at you for bringing your own croissant to a bar and ordering a coffee to go with it.

After that we wandered along the canal to our music class, which today had an african theme. After a fun hour spent playing all types of amazing instruments, we finished off singing the french version of "We're going on bear hunt." Now, I'm very familiar with this book in english but the french do it as a little song with the best hand movements. I've never seen it done like this before, although I'm sure there is something similar in english. And this was the second time I'd heard it so the tune has stuck in my mind so I can show Lily. I think she'll really get into it. The best thing about it is, because you "cant go over it and you cant go under it" it really helps me distinguish the difference in au-dessus and au-dessous - a very tricky thing!

A quick trip to the park later and a nice chat in the sun with some new acquaintances and it was time to go back and pick up Lily for lunch. Not a bad way to spend a morning.

8 comments:

steph said...

moi aussi je me sens bien aujourd'hui: le cours de yoga d'hier? le soleil radieux du jour? sûrement un peu des deux. Profitons bien de cette belle journée....

Penny said...

Tu as raison, Steph. C'était peut-être les deux! Bonne weekend. A bientôt

:)

Justin said...

Sounds like a wonderful morning... Enjoy your weekend!

French for a While said...

We live in a beautiful house with a spectacular view of the Med Sea, and we love it. But we can't walk to 'town' and we don't have a cafe within walking distance either. Your post reminds me that I miss that.

Penny said...

Hi Justin - hope you have a good one too :)

FFAW - its interesting to hear you say that. I've seen the photos of your place and its like something out of a movie! When we were deciding where to live, we tossed around the idea of a house further out so we could have a garden for the kids. But it would have meant a car and a different lifestyle. I sometimes wonder how life would have been if we had settled further along the lake, rather than in Annecy itself - but I've always been an inner-city kind of girl. There are always compromises to be made... Have a great weekend :)

Anonymous said...

I am in the process of moving to Segre near Angers with my two teenagers to improve our French but as a 'comfort zone' I would like to make contact with some expats who have already settled. For support and maybe meet up depending on where people live.
Yvonne

Penny said...

Hi Yvonne

I answered your post over on the expat France site.

:)

Yvonne said...

Hi Penny

Thanks for your message on the expats site - I did reply but not sure if it sent - so thought I'd reply to you on here instead (or possibly as well!) Yes we are coming from the UK - we currently live in Dorset. My son is just finishing his GCSEs and it was his plan to defer 6th form to spend a year in France - my eldest daughter is also studying in France and my youngest daughter loves French so it seemed like an ideal year to take a break from England.