Friday, 16 May 2008

Happy First Anniversary to us...

Well, one year down. Still feels like ten to some of us! I could go on and on about what we've achieved this year, what we haven't, what we like, what we don't, what we miss and what we've found. But, you've heard it all before. So instead, I will share something I said the other day and maybe you'll start your day with a laugh.

I am friends with an amazing group of women who I've never met. I've "known" them online for about 7 years now. Lately, a bunch of them have got into hooping for fitness. Now, given my inability to stick to new hobbies for long (yes, we all remember knitting and the flylady), I decided to see if I could buy a hoop here instead of ordering in a fancy one from the US or UK. For the record, these hoops are heavier than a kid's hoop, thereby making them a bit easier to keep up. Not to mention, they look a lot cooler.

So, having first looked up hoop on word reference, I went with the kids to Go Sport intending to ask them about cerceaux. We found some kid's hoops but there were clearly no adult ones so we went and looked at the rollerblades that I'm thinking of getting Lily for her birthday. While we were browsing, a very friendly shop assistant came up and asked if he could help. I was pretty sure they didn't have any but thought I'd ask anyway. So...

"Avez-vous des cerveaux pour les adultes, s'il vous plaît?"

How he kept a straight face, I dont know. I realized my mistake as soon as the word left my mouth

"Cerceaux, je veux dire, cerceaux!"

Needless to say they didn't have any, brains or hoops for that matter!

11 comments:

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

Hi Penny,
Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary..!
Great anecdote :)

La casa nella prateria said...

That one is great!

And "Happy birthday"! Do you plan to gom back to Australia someday or do you want to spend your life here?

La casa nella prateria said...

Sorry I wanted to say "anniversary" (it's the same word in french and sometimes i have language-confusion...")

Anonymous said...

Are the yellow leg warmer thingies an obligatory part of hooping?? :O)

K
xx

David Giorgi said...

Haha still makes me laugh

A very special congratulations for the mother/woman/love of my life who has made such incredible progress with her French, and supported us and cooked for us 3 these last 365 days!!!

Merci mon amour :)

The Duchess said...

That's too funny! Happy 1 year anniversary!

Le Tigre in France said...

Wow, it's already been a year? Incredible how fast time flies...
Congrats on 1 year of expatness!

Justin said...

Oh that was too funny! If you find out where to get some brains please let me know... I could use a new one ;-) Good luck on finding your hoop. I was able to find a nice pair of running shoes at Go Sport, but I think they are much easier to find (still trying to find the motivation to go running).

Penny said...

Claudia - i really dont know! we'll see how we all feel at the 2 year mark :)

Also thanks for clearing up a discussion David and I were having about whether it was the same word for both!

screamish said...

Oh yes, that's a great slip of the tongue. Yesterday I went to the planning permission office and said

"Je suis la pour boire Monsieur Bernard".

Oh the shame, I've been here eight years!!!

If you do find some brains...emails them to me...asap!

The Late Bloomer said...

Oh my gosh, Penny, this was HILARIOUS! What a Freudian slip, eh?! Just kidding! Sounds exactly like something I would say, seriously!

And congrats on 1 year -- it seems like you've been here so much longer! Truly, you have accomplished a LOT in just one year.