Wednesday, 28 May 2008

Big Boy Bed


Look at the great new bed we got for Jasper. We bought it second hand from a woman who lives in Annecy. Its in great condition and it saved us half the price and most of the effort of buying it new from IKEA. Its the sort that lengthens as the child grows so it will last a while. And I rather like the idea of reusing something that someone else no longer needs rather than running out and buying a brand new one (even if I would have preferred white).

The funny thing was, when I got there, I realized they lived in one of the apartments we'd missed out on during our search last year. They arrived in Annecy around the same time as we did. I wondered how life would have been for us if we had moved in there. Would the charming old building and those gorgeous high-ceilinged rooms have compensated for the fact of living on a busy main road without the balcony that just about saves my sanity some days. Who knows? But they seem happy there, as we are (mostly) here so its all good.

Now if I can just get Jasper to sleep all night in his new bed...

6 comments:

Justin said...

Great find Penny! I love second hand stuff... and by the looks of it, I am sure you could paint that white if you wanted. I need to look for a new bed, mine it just not comfortable enough.

Pumpkin Pie said...

Good deal on the bed!

We have two of those beds from Ikea. My son sleeps in one...half the night...then, he comes and gets in bed beside me and I am too tired to carry him back. :)

The other bed we have it as long as it will go and both my girls sleep in it. One girl is on each end and only their feet lay side by side. Somehow, they still manage to fight over space in bed so we are going to buy a new bed for my five year old. Then, I won't have to listen to "she is on my side or she is touching my leg!!!".

I love Ikea and miss that we don't have one close by. In Strasbourg, it was within walking distance!

French for a While said...

Good luck. Henry (just 3 yrs old) is in our bed most nights -- or on a little sleeping bag next to our bed. :)

Penny said...

Justin - I originally thought I would to match Lily's bed as they share a room, but now I rather like it

Pumpkin Pie, yes, we have a lot of musical beds going on in our house too. I love Ikea but its probably good we DONT have one here

FFAW - you know, I dont mind the kids in my bed, except that Jasper just doesnt sleep well. He could sleep the whole night there for all I care, if he would just SLEEP!

Jo said...

Penny! This is so great; love the bed - the night weaning and sleep thing is just terribly hard. I am so, so tired right now because Moira is a tough sleeper. Younger than J, I know...but it's hard, still. Hugs to you - hope it's improving..

The Late Bloomer said...

Oh, it does seem like a great bed! And what a find... If only I could find something like that for the baby. But I probably haven't been looking in the right places, nor hard enough.

I hope Jasper's been sleeping better more recently and making it through the nights! And I hope you've been able to sleep better as a result too...