Monday, 28 April 2008

There's nothing like...

a haircut when you're feeling down. I look at it this way - if its a good one, it makes you feel better and if its a bad one, it gives you something else to worry about, thereby taking your mind off other issues like "gosh, I'm lonely" and "remember that great indian restaurant in Brisbane".

I decided to give the hairdresser from my previous cut another go as overall I was pretty happy with the result - better the devil you know! And this one went pretty smoothly. There was a big discussion first, complete with carefully chosen french phrases and unambiguous hand gestures. And he got underway. It was slow going for a while and he was doing this funny airy-fairy layering technique at the front.

It wasn't until he stopped one side and went to the other that I realized the unthinkable had happened. He'd gone all Posh Spice on me. Now, I had this look when I was 17, thanks, and I have no desire to revisit it at 41. He must have seen the look of horror on my face as I regarded these wispy concave layers at the front and I stammered out "je le préfère..." (confronting a hairdresser in french or english has never been my forté). "Tout droit?" he said. "Oui", I sighed with relief - all straight! In fact, just like I said at the start. He'd obviously understood me. He was just being a hairdresser and was going off and doing his own truc. After we straightened that out (ha ha), I was really happy with the result - a sort of slightly layered bob, all straight around, much like what I've had many times before (although I did have to cut a few extra layers in one side, like last time).

truc - his thing

6 comments:

misschris said...

lol I have learned to love French coiffeurs. It took a loooong time. Here in Mexico the hairdressers are very careful and barely cut much at all. I´m so not used to telling them what to do that I end up with really bland hair each time. I kind of prefer the surprise element!

One tip is that if you find someone you like in France kee going to the same person because they will get to know your hair over a few visits and you´ll start getting really good cuts!

Justin said...

I am glad to hear it worked out okay. I worry so much whenever I have to change places. I have moved a lot in the past few years so that means a lot of worrying. But I was so worried once I got to France, so I studied for so long... and then once I went for the appointment, of course I forgot all of it. Luckily, he did a great job the first time and now I have been back to him over half a dozen times. He takes his time and does a better job than anyone before... so I really got lucky. Now like Misschris says, make sure you always go back to him. My person knows me very well and I don't even need to say anything anymore when I go it (granted, I am a guy so it is easier). Hope the hair cut makes you feel great for a while! :-)

Le Tigre in France said...

Glad it turned out okay in the end! You're right about feeling down and getting a haircut..I think 90 percent of my hairdresser visits have started that way, and thankfully I've only had a handful that have made me feel worse!

Penny said...

That's good advice misschris, thanks :)

Thanks Justin and Le tigre :)

F.O.T. said...

"all posh spice"... ha ha ha. Next you would have gotten a neck tattoo!

One of these days i'd like to go into a shop and say, "cut my hair according to my face". And then walk out being fabulous...

I'm not that brave...

La casa nella prateria said...

You should publish a photo now!