Wednesday, 19 March 2008

Move over Agatha, I've discovered BD


Bande Dessinée, that is, for my australian friends. Or what we would call comic books. They've been popular here for almost a century. They not only have them for kids but also graphic novels - illustrated stories for adults that come in bound volumes. Some contain a fair bit of sex and violence, so these ones are certainly not for kids. But they are a good way to practice some french with pictures to help you work it out and you can pick up some interesting new vocabulary.

I had a look at a few when we first arrived as there were some in the apartment we were staying in. But I found them still a bit of a challenge to read, even with the pictures. There's a large BD section in the library, which I occasionally flick through. So today, as well as picking up a new Agatha Christie, I borrowed my first BD. When I got it home it was surprisingly easy to read. I polished it off in about 45 minutes (they're not very long) and went straight back to the library to get volume two. There's something to be said for living two minutes away from the library!

5 comments:

Space Mom said...

Mmm I love graphic novels. I am currently reading "V for Vendetta" which is also a very good movie....

India J said...

Hi Penny, have you ever noticed near the Library (on the entrance to the B'lieu Theatre side)there is a BD Café/Shop ? They regularly have BD related 'events' there for BD fans and the coffee's not bad either! You might like to check them out...:)

Le Tigre said...

Maybe I should give BD's a try..I've flicked through a few but they didn't really grab my attention (I want a female character centered narrative dammit). With a dictionary I just might be able to get through it. I'll check out the mediatheque for the one here!

Justin said...

Ah yes BDs are great! I even picked up a few familiar American comics in French. They are all a great read, and definitely are a fun way to learn. I also love picking up books in 'lecture façile' from Amazon.fr. They are cheap and you can get ones with a nice small range of words to help you learn.

Penny said...

Spacemom - I'll have to see if I can get that. I'd never have picked you for a graphic novel kinda-gal. The things you learn... ;-)

Hi India - David is a regular at BD café but I've yet to try it. I have so little time off to sit and have a coffee that I tend to go where the best chocolat is every time :)

Le tigre - I came home with 4 female centred ones yesterday. One film-noir type adaptation of a unpublished Raymond Chandler script, a sci-fi, one about some chick in prison in Paris and another film noir. Thats what I was searching for too - female characters (they are all written by men of course!). Still, they are easy to pick up and put down quickly as I try to snatch a few minutes quiet reading while the kids are busy. I say, give it a go...and let me know if you do :)

Justin - David tells me there are lots of american ones in the BD bookstore here. As I've said before - spiderman is big here - with the little kids and the big kids, it seems!

:)