Saturday, 22 March 2008

It just wouldn't be Easter without...



HOT CROSS BUNS!

Its saying something about supermarket placement here, that I didn't even realize I hadnt seen any hot cross buns until last Thursday. Unlike Australia, where the easter eggs and hot cross buns seem to be everywhere as soon as Christmas decorations have been put away, here its a bit more low key. There is quite a big Easter egg section in Monoprix but its not as "in your face".

I spoke to a friend yesterday who had no idea what I was talking about when I described hot cross buns, so I set about making my own. They turned out really well, despite the fiddling I did with the recipe, using cinnamon instead of mixed spice and skipping the currants.

Next year, I'll make sure I'm a bit more organized and have all the ingredients on hand to have them made for breakfast on Good Friday, rather than dessert.

Happy easter everyone!

9 comments:

Guera said...

We made Hot Cross Buns today too, since you can't buy them here. We made the choc chip version though since they don't seem to do the chocolate overload eggs (that was my excuse anyway). Hope you have a great Easter!

Penny said...

Hi Guera

I'm a traditionalist - I just cant quite get my head around the choccie ones - but I bet they taste great. Have a happy easter! That reminds me, you know what I love in Mexico, is that solid hot chocolate powder that comes in a little wheel that you break pieces off and its flavoured with cinnamon. Do you get that where you are?

:)

Emily said...

Yummy. Happy Easter!

Le Tigre said...

I was thinking of hot cross buns yesterday too! I miss the smell of them! Oooooh. How is it that people don't eat them here? They are great.

Anonymous said...

Look at your cuties - those buns look just great, too. Happy Easter to you in France! clmama

Rosebank Magic said...

Well done! They look great. We are happily eating our way through a dozen from Brumbys. Bakers Delight, who I think make the best have moved away this last year.
We seem to be in food overload this Easter. I made a wonderful fish pie (3 types of fish)on Friday and this evening we are having roast pork. Its a lovely photo of the kids. Can you email it to me so that I can print it out.

Function of Time said...

Ah Ha! Those look yummy. Isn't there a Hot Cross Buns song?

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

OMG!!! Those look soooo tasty!! I started my big diet today cuz we leave for California is 3 weeks from now... Hehe... so no more bread for a while... It's okay...Can't wait for all that Mexican food!!!!!

You are thinking of Ibarra chocolate- at least that is the name of the brand I get in San Diego that's sold in a red/yellow stripped hexigonal box...

Anonymous said...

Hello Penny and co.!
Well I just caught up with so much blog. I was way back at you lovely pink fairy photos. It has been a while since I found a fast computer here in Colombia. I spent ages devouring all the news photos and video..long live the blog! Well I think from the photo you took of the castle mid river that I may have visited your new stomping ground when Michael and I went to france all those yrs ago (sneaking over during the visa block at the time of the french nuclear atole tests). I have the same photo, minus the snow. We went over with NIchole and Pete.
What a beaurocratic nightmare you manage to manouver through. Sounds like a first world country with third world beaurocracy.
My god the kids are growing too fast. Fantastic hot cross buns made me salivate, though there were some tempting der kinder eggs here.
Can´t wait to see you all love Mimi