Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Thanks to you Grominou2!

A while ago, Grominou2 over at J'ai lu mentioned that the first book she read in english was an Agatha Christie. This advice came back to me last week when I went to the library to choose a new french book to read. I came home with an anthology of six Agatha Christie stories written in the 1930s and am half way through my first one. I have to say, I am really enjoying it and look forward to reading some each night, just as I would with an english book. For a start, I love romans policiers and I've read quite a few of her books in my time and am quite used to her style. Also, there's very little slang, lots of dialogue and the language is all quite straight forward. But best of all, there seems to be lots of use of the tenses I have most trouble with: imperfect, future, conditional and past conditional. Especially the latter. Being a detective story, there's lots of supposition about what the murderer would have done, which is great practice of the past conditional. For now, I have no idea whodunnit, but at least, I'm enjoying reading. So thanks for the idea, Grominou2!

romans policiers - detective novels

6 comments:

Space Mom said...

I love Agatha Christie (in English)
I keep thinking I should blow the money on the Rosetta Stone to learn French, but....

Le Tigre said...

I've never read Agatha Christie although I remember watching plenty of the telemovie versions on tv as a kid! I'll keep AC in mind when I finally get the courage to start reading a French book.

Grominou2 said...

Bonne lecture! :-)

Andromeda said...

glad you found something that you're into! that's been the hardest for me, finding books (french or english!) that keep my interest for more than a few pages. "Le petit Nicolas" works well for me, but I want something a little more grownup . . . I'll have to try Agatha Christie!

Grominou2 said...

Tag, you're it!
http://jai-lu.blogspot.com/2008/02/ma-premire-fois.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny !

My name is Katia. I am a friend of Emilie, the french girl who lives in Sydney. I think you've heard about me from her. I am back to France. Big change. I really miss this amazing country and my friends. I have been jetlag for 1 week but now I am fine. I have read a lot about you and your family. I should go to Annecy soon so if you like we could catch up. I used to live other there before I go to Australia.I am planning to stay in France a few months and leave again, maybe back in Australia or go to California... I don't know yet.I look forward to hearing from you !
Katia
My email : katia_roy@hotmail.com