Sunday, 10 February 2008

Skiing at the Semnoz

Yesterday, we took our first winter trip to the Semnoz. Its a 40 minute bus ride from home and is a great spot for kids and beginners. We hired some skis for Lily and me, and a luge for the kids, which also doubled as a great way to carry all our stuff around. It was so warm that I was skiing just in a jumper with no hat or gloves. That's right - I went skiing for the first time! Well, I dont count that time in Italy when I put David's skis on and posed for a photo.

After a bit of time practicing my chasse-neige (which needs a LOT of work), David got sick of pulling me a little way up the slope and bought me a ticket for the lift. I plucked up my courage and off I went. On my second run down the beginner's slope, I started to get a feel for it. Poor David, he was stuck lugging the kids around all afternoon while I caught the ski bug! Still, it will be worthwhile in the long run when the kids are older and we are all skiing together.

Luging


Jasper in the luge with our bags


Practicing my chasse-neige


I did it!(By the way, that slope is steeper than it looks!)

And two bits of video, if you're interested!







chasse-neige - snow plough

5 comments:

Emily said...

Lookin' good, Penny! Glad you had a great time. :)

Justin said...

How fun! I need to go skiing again, BAD!

Rosebank Magic said...

I'm glad to see you have found a new and fun way to celebrate the chinese new year.

Anonymous said...

Hey you'll be attempting the piste noir before you know it!! Looks like you're all having a great time. I'm just a bit jealous!!

Ohh - you shouldn't have any trouble getting new tennants - there's a huge shortage of rentals here at the moment.

K
xx

Penny said...

Hey Kate

Thats good to hear about the rentals. I'm hoping we get someone in soon so I can *afford* to keep skiing :)