Wednesday, 9 January 2008

I spoke french... in a dream!

I actually got to sleep in this morning after David got up with the kids to give them breakfast. And I managed to go back to sleep. I dreamed that I was in Sevrier and that I was heading back to Annecy on a trottinette (like lots of mums here, who ride their kid's scooters home after dropping them at school). In my dream I stopped to chat to two french guys on skateboards, one of whom looked a lot like the friendly electrician who came to fix our light switches on Monday. I cant remember much of the conversation but we came to a point in the road where I said goodbye and asked if they knew the way to Annecy (I distinctly remember saying saviez-vous - which I now realize is the imperfect tense - see I cant even get my grammar right when I'm dreaming!).

Now mind you, I'm not saying I dreamed in french like bilingual people do. No, my thought processes were definitely in english. I remember after I left the skater dudes, I went into a bar and there were some tourists loudly ordering coffees in english and I remember thinking "bloody tourists who dont even make an effort!". Still its a start!

8 comments:

Kate said...

That's awesome - it's the start to being bilingual! You'll be parlezing like a local before you know it!!

All your extra work listening to French must be starting to pay off...congrats! :o)

Penny said...

Thanks Kate!

Guera said...

That´s definitely a good sign, Penny. Even your subconscious is working on its French!

Colleen said...

This concept fascinates me. I read a book once called, "French Lessons" that talked about learning French and how it affects dreams(at least, what I remember of the book). It was interesting.

I am still at the point of translating in my head. OY!

Penny said...

Colleen

I'm definitely still translating in my head - I wonder if I'll ever think in french - then I'll know I've really made it!

:)

French for a While said...

I am so jealous. I can't wait until I have that experience. Will it ever come?

JP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JP said...

That is awesome Penny! I for some reason only have French dreams the first few nights I go back to the US. I am always aware I am speaking French and am definitely translating in my head and not speaking freely. But that is a good sign you are making a lot of progress, good for you!