Monday, 21 January 2008

Good grief!

I just got a letter from our neighbour complaining that Lily was running around the apartment at 8am on Sunday morning for an hour. He was half right. It was Jasper too. I watched them as I lay on the lounge enrhumé and half-heartedly tried to get them to stop. But I'd been up all night with Jasper, whose own cold seemed to miraculously disappear for the hour it took to work Monsieur into a letter-writing frenzy. I've had it with this whole situation. I know it was too early on a Sunday but I've had enough of apologizing and compromising. I'll continue to try and keep the kids relatively quiet but other than that he's going to have to deal with it. And if any of them dare to complain to my face about it, that's what I'll be telling them.

enrhumé - with a cold

9 comments:

Emily said...

How frustrating!

Guera said...

Good on you! Its a two way street and it seems like you are doing all the compromising and it might be time for him to just accept a few realities of life.

flo said...

les français aiment la paperasse... (mais pourquoi??) et en plus ils sont très râleurs... tu viens de faire la rencontre d'un parfait spécimen franco-français... sorry about that, a lot of australian said me that france would be a great country without the french... no comment

Justin said...

I'm sorry, I wish you didn't have to deal with that. I am sure you deal with enough without one more thing. I think I am going to bake my neighbors a pie to let them know how much I appreciate them! Chin up.

Le Tigre said...

argh, they sound like such stick-in-the-muds! Just ignore them. They've really just got nothing better to do then complain. And what apartment doesn't get noise from the other levels? It's normal!

mammaclaudia said...

You should complain about your neighbour's intolerance! He's detestable!

Space Mom said...

UGH and double ugh!

Colleen said...

I am sorry to hear about your apartment situation. There is a funny book called "a year in the merde" where the author talks about his upstairs neighbors. Funny stuff and not like your situation at all. However, in the future you may see the "funny" side of things.

I may be stepping out of bounds here, but is there any way your family can move into a house? I read that you worked long and hard to get into your apartment but it's a possibility that getting a home might help your nighttime and early morning(and from the sounds of it the rest of your day) stress. Of course, it's easy for me to say because moving away from the center of Annecy would be very difficult indeed.

A+
colleen

:-)

Penny said...

Colleen - you know we thought about it when we decided to move here. We could have lived further down the lake in a house for about the same rent. But we would have needed to buy a car and we wanted to try and live without one. Also we thought with my limited french, that I may do better in a bigger town as there would be more people and more activities for the kids, especially Jasper. Maybe in the future, we'll be able to afford a house in the centre ville. There are a few of them and they are really cute. But for now we need to make the best of things here :)