Tuesday, 11 December 2007

Well, fancy that!

I was perusing the Auchan Christmas food catalogue today and getting a good idea of what the french must eat around holiday season. Its also a good way to improve my food vocab. The first two pages were all foie gras, which I have to admit does not interest me at all. Then there were snails and oysters. The poultry section was interesting - lots of capons and a few turkeys. Then there was poularde which word reference translated as a young fat chicken! Also guinea fowl, duckling, pheasant, ostrich and goose. For the meats, there was beef and lamb but also deer, kid, wild boar and bison. It made me think how unadventurous I'd been with my cooking.

I skipped on to the seafood section full of atlantic salmon (which is wonderfully cheap here compared to Australia), prawns and scallops. But imagine my surprise when I saw deux queues de langoustes rouges d'Australie Occidentale! West Australian crayfish tails here in Annecy. It made me think of all those summers eating pickled crayfish legs at my gran's house. But I dont think I'll be heading to Auchan to buy any - not at 63€ per kilo (about $104AUD per kilo!)

7 comments:

Destination Metz said...

not a fan of foie gras? I know it's evil but I do like it..but I'd be stumped when it comes to buying any. The deli and fromage sections at the supermarket just confuse me..I'm a total novice.

So what will you be cooking for Christmas dinner? Are you going to have pudding?

Guera said...

Wow! $104 a kilo! I guess it has come a long way... I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to cook ostrich, wild boar or bison.

Rosebank Magic said...

I'll let them know in Dongara, I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear that someone is making alot of money out of a few cray tails. They do sound quite exotic in French quite different to pickled cray.

Penny said...

DM - I dont really like the idea of foie gras but given that I eat all other meat without hesitation, that wouldnt really stop me eating it. But I dont like the taste at all. This year, no cooking for me. We are going to Italy to join David's family there for Christmas. So it will be the traditional Christmas tortellini again (we've been before). Its very yummy but totally different to an aussie Christmas. Next year, I think I will cook a turkey - it beats cooking one in the heat! What will you be doing?

:)

Destination Metz said...

wow Christmas in Italy! Fabulous!

Jennie said...

I don't care much for foie gras either... and dang, that is expensive for crayfish tails!!!

The Late Bloomer said...

Oh, I do love me some foie gras! I can't resist it, and it's even better with some confit de figues as well as a glass of Sauternes or Monbazillac (both sweet wines that go perfectly with foie gras). I've gotten so addicted to it now that Christmas doesn't seem the same without foie gras!

Oh, and Christmas in Italy sounds WONDERFUL! Enjoy every moment of it with your family.