Thursday, 22 November 2007

Comfort Food

Its cold and rainy here. The sort of weather that makes me want to cook soup or yummy puddings. David still laughs about the fact that when we first met I would eat self saucing puddings a couple of times a week, smothered in cream of course. You know the sort I mean? A hot cakey pudding on the top with lots of yummy thick sauce underneath. But they were the packet kind. Lately I have started making a home made one with my mum's recipe. In fact, I think I'm going to try and make a special pudding once a week as a treat for the kids as we usually only have fruit and cheese for dessert here. So I'll go off and search for some traditional steamed puddings and leave you with my mum's recipe - its really good!

Ann's Chocolate Self-saucing Pudding

60 gms soft butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 large or 2 small eggs
1 cup self raising flour and 1 tablespoon cocoa sifted together
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
dash of vanilla
Plus another 1/2 cup sugar and 2 dessertspoons of cocoa mixed together for topping

Cream butter and sugar, (do this with a wooden spoon, you won't need a beater), whisk in unbeaten egg and vanilla (optional) until creamy. Fold in flour and cocoa alternately with milk.
Pour into a greased ovenproof dish and sprinkle with sugar and cocoa topping. Finally pour over 1 &1/4 cups of hot water and bake in a moderate oven for 30 - 40 minutes. Serve with lashings of whipped cream and/or ice cream.

Make sure you cook in it a dish that is big enough!!

7 comments:

Suz said...

Delicious-looking! I think I'll need to make this sometime very soon. I enjoy your blog and had a chance to visit Annecy in 2005. Peace!

guera said...

That looks so yummy! Can't wait to try it out. And I don't even have the excuse of cold weather. Its winter here and still its 30C!

kate said...

Hey i went to the gym yesterday and then played tennis last night and am trying to be good and now all i can think about is chocolate pudding!!

Rose said...

That looks to die for, hon.
I'm going to make it as soon as my stomach recovers from Thanksgiving :D

Tigue said...

Sounds and looks wonderfully yummi! I have been digging out my mothers recipes at a rapid degree, I think a lot of it is homesickness and the need of down-home comfort food. This reminds me of something my mother used to make called cinnamon pudding cake. *goes to look in recipe box*

Rose said...

Just wanted to thank you for all the comments on my blog.
Did you give up *all* wheat and dairy for 9 whole months? :)
Whoa. That would be super tough. That is eliminating so much of what we eat, and the delicious pudding could not be made under such a diet.
I do wish I could find a good replacement for milk in recipes, though. I managed to gross myself out by going to PETA's website, LOL. Yeah, yeah,I know, should not have gone there!
Hugs!

Penny said...

Suz - thanks for popping by my blog. Let me know if you make the pudding :)

Tigue - cinnamon pudding sounds really yummy

Rose - I was pretty strict about it. basically it meant no packaged food at all. instead of bread I ate corn bread (yuck). I drank soy instead of milk and used it in cooking. I ate lots of corn flakes. It cleared my asthma up a treat but I lost way too much weight. It all went by the wayside when I travelled to Ireland. Can you use soy milk instead of milk for cooking? I think in small amounts its ok but I wouldnt want to drink huge amounts of it.