Monday, 15 October 2007

Ok, now I get it!



I've been walking past this billboard a lot lately. I kept wondering why they would use a model who looks like George Michael after a lot of bad plastic surgery. When, oops, David told me yesterday its Johnny Hallyday, a huge french star and one who many consider to be the french Elvis Presley. Knowing that, it still doesnt want me to buy glasses from them, but it makes me think maybe it was best Elvis went out when he did. Imagine what he'd have looked like if he'd slimmed down and got plastic surgery. Note to self: really must brush up on major french cultural icons if I'm going to make it here.

9 comments:

Andromeda said...

i think the same thing about elvis! and marilyn monroe. i imangine sometimes she'd have turned out like joan rivers, yuk. but james dean could have stayed a little longer . . .

Destination Metz said...

That's funny I saw the poster too and thought it was george micheal also...
French advertising is so funny sometimes. Super cheesy.

French for a While said...

It may be Johnny Hallyday, but that doesn't change the fact that he still looks like George Michael after some bad plastic surgury.

Emily said...

JH scares me. I'm not a huge fan of those posters. :(

Penny said...

Glad its not just me!

MadameK. Located in said...

I can't get over the fact that you've lived in France for any amount of time and you don't know who "Johnny" is. Don't you ever watch 'Les Guignoles' make fun of his Optique 2000 commercials?

It's hilarious stuff. You're really missing out!

Penny said...

Madame K - its because I dont watch TV - we dont even have one! Its a lifestyle choice but it does have its downside :). I'll have to see if I can find 'Les Guignoles' online somewhere!

Milie said...

Hi Penny! Je n'avais jamais pense que Johnny ressemblait a George Michael, mais c'est vraiment vrai !
J'espere que tout va bien pour vous et que le temps n'est pas trop froid ;-)

Penny said...

Salut Milie

Tout va très bien, merci. C'était un peu froid aujourd'hui mais pas trop mal. J'espère vous aimez les printemps en Australie!