Thursday, 4 October 2007

À l'hôpital

Our first trip to the hospital went very smoothly today. We were there to see an orthopaedic surgeon to check that Jasper's hips were still in the right place. We had an appointment but still waited an hour to be seen - it seems hospitals are the same the world over. It wasn't so bad as there was a nice box of toys in the salle d'attente.

The surgeon was very pleasant. I'd been warned by my doctor who referred us that he was not very talkative (he treated her daughter's feet). But I found he explained things well. I was happy to let David tell our story...for about 10 seconds! As soon as he made one minor error in the details, I took over. French or no french, I am used to taking the lead at medical appointments. It wasn't that hard as I've explained about Jasper's hips in french quite a few times now. The doctor was able to examine him (which was amazing as usually he screams and tenses up so much, its almost impossible) and was very pleased with how his hips felt. But, of course, he sent us for x-rays anyway.

We went downstairs to the x-ray section and after a wait of only about 30 minutes we were in. I was surprised that, as he was older, Jasper was x-rayed standing up. But I managed to keep him still and it was over very quickly. After a quick bite of lunch with Lily, whom David had collected from school while we were waiting for the x-rays, we went back upstairs and the surgeon saw us within minutes. And the x-rays were fine. His hips are both evenly in place and forming well. We don't have to go back for a year. What a relief!


salle d'attente - waiting room

6 comments:

guera said...

Fantastic news, you must be very happy. Now you can get on with enjoying your adventure without that to worry about! (I can completely relate to taking the lead in these situations - same goes in our family)

Grominou2 said...

Wonderful news!!

Jennie said...

That's good news! I'm glad everything's ok with Jasper!

The Late Bloomer said...

That's wonderful news, Penny! I'm glad things went well. A relief for you and your family, indeed.

Mandy & John said...

Congratulations! I can imagine the relief you must feel at so many levels...First for Jasper, then hospital appointments, the doctor, the time it takes up. We were once at the hospital for 5 hours with Caelie crying nearly the whole time! I cried too! It was the ER, but I know how bad it can be, so it is nice to hear of a good experience:)

Penny said...

5 hours Mandy - that sounds awful. Hope you and your family are doing well :)