Tuesday, 16 October 2007

Soupe de Chou-Fleur



It might look like a bowl of lumpy porridge but this was a really tasty soup I made the other week. Now that we're eating our main meal of the day at lunchtime, I'm always on the lookout for recipes for soups or vegetarian meals for dinner. I found this one in a magazine and whipped it up quite quickly. As the scrap of paper has now been lost, I thought I'd record the recipe here while I can remember it.

You start with one beautiful cauliflower (it really did say that!). I actually used half as I had bought a huge one the day before for only 2€. Cauliflowers are so cheap here, I've become a bit obsessed with them! Anyway, you fry up 100grams of lardons (or just use bacon) and some shallot in some olive oil until its starting to brown. I only had garlic so I used a clove of that. Then you add the cauliflower which has been cut into small florets and fry it for a few minutes. Next you add 250mls of stock (chicken or veggie) and let it simmmer on a low heat for 10 minutes. Then you add 500mls of milk and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. I added a bit less as I thought it would be too watery, but in fact I should have put in the lot as it turned out a little thick. After that, you puree it all, season it and heat it up again before serving.

The recipe called for it to be served with some crispy fried prosciutto - I had no time for that so we just ate it with bread. I should have been a bit more diligent with the bamix as it was very lumpy but everyone was hungry and I just wanted to get it on the table. Still it had a lovely flavour, despite its consistency and the kids loved it - not a bad way to get everyone to eat a few serves of veggies!

4 comments:

Rosebank Magic said...

Sounds yummy! I make one that has some roquefort added, that's pretty good too. But our favourite of late has been made with celery and some added Gruyere. I have some really good vegetarian books and I could send you one or two if you are interested. As you know, I'm a bit of a cookery book junkie and have far more than I need.

The Late Bloomer said...

OHHHH, this DOES sound good! And I'm always on the lookout for new soup recipes... I tried a cauliflower soup here last year, but I was disappointed with it -- it lacked pizzazz! But I think the lardons would be the definite special touch that would make the difference... I'll have to give this a try!

By the way, are you one of those diligent gals who uses her own homemade chicken stock, or do you use the cubes like cheater-me?! I know I need to take the time to cook down some chicken bones, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet! I did freeze the bones from my last roasted chicken, though -- my mom said I could freeze them until I find the time, so I hope she's right!

Penny said...

Mum - you know I just got out that everyday vegetarian book and looked through that. Save the postage for other things, hey? Imagine what it would cost you to post. An online friend has just given me a good recipe for lentils - will let you now how it works out :)

Late Bloomer - I have on occasion boiled up chicken carcasses - its not that hard but I just dont have the time. I'm definitely a stock cube girl! Let me know how you like the soup if you make it. I still have to try your rabbit recipe :)

Kate said...

Mmmm now i want soup for dinner!!

Have you checked out www.taste.com.au - they've got some yummy soup recipes and heaps of other recipes too. The chicken and lentil one is pretty tasty. One of the recipes they make star shaped toast - i used the playdough cutters and made lots of toast shapes! Needless to say the girls loved this idea :o)