Tuesday, 2 October 2007

And as for Jasper...



At 35 weeks, we weren't quite ready for him. But weighing just under 2500 grams, he decided he was ready for us. One thing we did have for him was a name and he was Jasper right from the start. We had decided against using any of the "boy" names we had thought of for Lily, if she'd been a boy. So we started again with the list - this time knowing that we would be making the move to France for a while and so wanting something that would suit here also. I still remember the relief I felt when I was about 6 months pregnant and we decided on Jasper. It came from nowhere really- a name I read in a book. But we were both instantly happy with it (especially me as I had a feeling he would be a boy).

But he arrived before we'd had time to think of a middle name. He was born on Easter Sunday and it was immediately suggested that we consider "Pasquale" for his middle name, being a name often given to baby boys in Italy who are born at Easter. But I had so much on my plate, trying to express breastmilk for his tube feeds, trying to get him to breastfeed, worrying about his weight and his health and constantly being on guard for anyone thinking of giving him a bottle or a dummy which I feared would sabotage our delicate start to breastfeeding. I just couldn't think about his name for the first week.

Then things calmed down and I spent my days at the hospital trying to get him to have the 4 or 5 breastfeeds a day that my doctor required before we could "room-in" together and prove he could feed well enough to go home. I would sit in the special care nursery for hours holding him, sometimes leafing through yet another baby name book in search of a middle name (this time it was "Cool names for babies") and I came upon Raphaël. We loved the name and its connection with the painter Raffaello and the archangel Raphael. There was only one problem. My cousin's boy is called Rafael. But she graciously agreed when I asked her if we could use the name too. And so when he was 3 weeks old, a week after we finally got to bring him home from the hospital, he was officially Jasper Raphaël.

3 comments:

The Late Bloomer said...

What a lovely story you've shared with us here, Penny! And that is a great name, Jasper Raphaël. You are both very blessed with your two beautiful children!

Grominou2 said...

What a lovely picture!

Penny said...

Thanks for indulging me! Its nice to reminisce a bit (especially as I was having a nervous week)

:)