Monday, 3 September 2007

Ready for la rentrée

Well, this is what we've been working towards. School starts tomorrow. I've been through the little leaflet given to us by the school a few times and I think we've got everything we need.

Top of the list is one pair of slippers without laces. At first, I thought it said chaussures (shoes) but I read it again and realized it said chaussons (slippers). Luckily my favourite patisserie is a chausson au pomme (a bit like an apple turnover) so I realized my mistake! In France, the kids change into slippers once they get to school (at least in the Maternelle) to keep the classrooms clean and dry. David did the same thing when he lived in Switzerland. So Lily chose her own. Sadly I wont get to see them each day as they must stay at school!


Aren't they unique?

We've also got the gobelet en plastique - you've never seen a sparklier Dora cup than the one she choose. I'm sure there will be ten others like it tomorrow. Then, there's the ID photo, the obligatory box of tissues and the insurance certificate. That's right, kids have to have their own school insurance here. But its very cheap, lasts a whole year and covers just about everything, in and out of school.

But most important of all is Lily. She's very excited! This morning, as we walked to the shops to get some milk and croissants, she was skipping along and singing a little song of her own composition. It went something like "moi, je aller au l'école demain", which translated (and correcting for 4 year old grammar!) meant "I'm going to school tomorrow". I hope she's still this happy about it on Thursday!

6 comments:

Rosebank Magic said...

When I woke this morning I expressed a little concern about Lily's start at a new school but my concern was completely dispelled when David came in doing an impersonation of Lily dancing down the street singing "I'm going to school tomorrow". If she looks as happy as he did then she will be fine. But I'll still be thinking of her. Good luck my beautiful granddaughter!

Rosebank Magic said...

I forgot, I just love those slippers!!!

Rose said...

Wow! Happy first day of school, Lily!
She's in for so much fun, and so are you, with the things she brings home!
As for the slippers-- looks like a 2-pairer, to me! You need one for home! :)

Emily said...

How exciting for everyone! I can't wait to hear all about it. :)

Penny said...

What, Grandad didnt sing it in french?!

The Late Bloomer said...

She sounds so adorable! I know that la rentrée is such an exciting thing here in France, and a lot of work for parents as well, but the funny thing is that I actually have gotten used to it being a bit of a transitional time myself!

Hope things have been going great!