Monday, 24 September 2007

Pommes de Terre Vitelotte

Yes, purple potatoes of all things! I'd seen a picture of these but only found them in a little épicerie a few days ago. I cooked them up tonight and mashed them as I am sleep-deprived (thanks Jasper!) and was feeling rather uninspired. My hands got stained purple from peeling them and the water they were boiled in turned a wonderful shade of blue. They faded a little but still kept their purple shade quite nicely. And they tasted... well, rather like potatoes. Next time, I think I'll bake them in their jackets - imagine all that purple bursting out of its skin!







épicerie - greengrocer

4 comments:

Grominou2 said...

Ok, personally I think it looks like something a Klingon would eat at the mess hall on the Enterprise (yes, I am a nerd)... Did the kids like it?

guera said...

They look awesome! Did your tongues go purple when you ate them? Guerita would love these...

Penny said...

Grominou - Klingon food - cool! Jasper liked it. Lily has stopped eating potato unless its of the deepfried variety so she barely touched it :)

Guera - I didnt look but I suspect not! I think the richest colour was lost when I cooked them, hence next time I must bake or steam them :)

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Telle bizarre!!! I have never seen anything like it!!
Hi Penny! Thanks for visiting my blog and please stop back anytime... I am having fun reading your right now!! Take care, Leesa