Wednesday, 26 September 2007

The heat is on

Maybe its because we are actually in autumn now or maybe one of the oldies in our building complained, but the heating has been turned on a month earlier than we expected. And its really warm, which I'm sure will be a good thing when it gets really cold. But for now, I'm going around turning all the heaters off and David is turning them back on again! I think we'll be quite warm here, come winter, with a good heating system and the sun which reaches all the way into our dining/lounge area by mid-morning. And with David off to Ikea later this week, soon I'll have a dining room table at which I can sit in the morning sun with a cup of tea and read the newspaper - bliss!

5 comments:

guera said...

I've just spent the morning in Ikea - how I love Ikea! Now I have somewhere to put the mountains of little toys bits that seem to litter our house. Good to hear your heating works well, I'm sure it'll be important come winter. We have no heating and it's actually a little chilly in winter, but nothing compared to you. Thank god we have great air conditioning - that's on for about 9 months of the year.
I'm very impressed that you're reading books in French. Do you find there's lots of colloquialisms in them that are hard to translate? I'm not sure I've got the patience to read a book in Spanish. I think I'd be referring to the dictionary too much. I would love to read Like Water for Chocolate in the original Spanish though since its one of my favourite books (and movies). Perhaps it should be my goal before we leave to read it. In the meantime I'll be stocking up on English language books while we're in the US. They are very hard to buy in Mexico.

French for a While said...

Ah, yes. Three things I love: tea (coffee for me, actually), the newspaper (I miss my Washington Post) and Ikea. In Washington we had three Ikea's withing 45 minutes of our house. How spoiled we were. Now it a full day trip -- but worth it!

Penny said...

Guera - The last book I read (my second!) had a lot of slang. i looked up quite a bit of it but try to get the gist without looking up every word I dont know. I think you should give Like Water For Chocolate a go - it might not be as bad as you think! I love the movie and the book :)

Penny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Penny said...

French for a while - every now and then I like to get the International Herald Tribune - just to have some news in english!