Tuesday, 4 September 2007

A great first day!



I'm so proud of our Lily. She went off to school, singing and skipping, excited and happy. Not a tear or a tantrum in sight. She wasn't even phased when David handed her over to her lovely teacher at the door of the classroom instead of accompanying her in as we had discussed with the directrice a couple of months ago. Those two months have made a huge difference in Lily's ability to understand and express herself in french and she was so eager, it just didnt seem necessary.

She was pleased to see us when we picked her up 3 hours later and slowly the details of how she had passed the afternoon emerged. Playing inside with the girl in the green shirt, holding hands outside with the girl in the blue shirt, drawing, listening to two stories and singing a song about a rat and a hat. And best of all she is really keen to go on Thursday. In fact, when I reminded her that she doesn't go tomorrow as its Wednesday, she said with her best 4 year old attitude "Well, I'm *so* disappointed!"

We went out for dinner to celebrate the start of school and our 14 year anniversary (which took a bit of a backseat this year in all the excitement). After sharing my tartiflette and David's pizza, she wandered home with us along the canals still talking about school. As she went to bed, she said she's going to dream about all her new amis. I feel like we're off to a good start!

15 comments:

Rosebank Magic said...

What a lovely photo - but she doesn't look Australian anymore, more like a demure little french girl. That is - if there is such a thing. I'm really glad she had such a good day.

Penny said...

Well, there are plenty of well-behaved french children here but Lily's isnt one of them yet!

Miles Away In France said...

Ah, such a relief when they settle so well.
Two of my children took it all in their stride but my third cried for the first 6 weeks, it broke my heart.
Racheal x

Penny said...

Oh Rachael - thats what I've been dreading. Your poor little one! I think I was a lot more worried than she was. Its harder for the mums I think. I'm sure its easier too the younger they are :)

Kate said...

So glad it went well - we were thinking of you and hoping all would go smoothly! And Lily looks so cute in the photo. :o)

Chat soon
K
xx

joy suzanne said...

Oh god, this just kills me! I can't think of anything in the world I want more than a little Lily of my own... a half-french, half "rican" doll! Mais It faut attendre, ça c'est sûr!

Annecy is such a beautiful place. Enjoy the autumn and feast your eyes!

Destination Metz said...

Oh she looks so cute! And that's fantastic that she loves school, definetley something to be encouraged. And happy anniversary!

Jennie said...

Cutest little girl ever! I'm so happy she is happy at school here. I wish I could adjust so easily like her... I want to be 4 years old again!

Grominou2 said...

Wow I can't believe it! Lily is going to school!!!

Glad it went well! Cute pic!!!

Piero P Giorgi said...

Pierononno is the proudest grand-father of the world.
Mais c'est magnifique!!

Milie said...

Hi Penny,
I've found your blog last week, looking for some aussie guys settled in my country, and here you are!
I also thought about cute Lily this week, such a great day for her!
It might be something to see your kids going to school overseas, speaking french so easily.
Welcome in France and congratulations for this terrific website!
Emilie (http://francetoaustralia.blogspot.com)
P.S: Lily looks like a French little girl, wearing the "casual Meternelles uniform": jeans and slippers!

Penny said...

Bonjour Milie! J'ai jeté un coup d'œil sur votre blog. Je vais le lire pour améliorer mon français. J'espére que vous vous plaisez en Australie. Votre anglais est super.

:)

L'Étrangère Americaine said...

What a great post. I'm glad Lily's school year is off to such a positive start. She's absolutely adorable.

Anonymous said...

Wow - Lily you look so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so so so proud of you and your mum for doing so well on your first day!
Well done gorgeous one!
XXX

mimi said...

Lily is sooooooooooooo cute! I'm so happy it all went well. Amazing how smoothly it all went. Hugs to all