Thursday, 20 September 2007

The days were growing darker and colder...



So begins one of my favourite kid's books, but unlike the sleepy bears we dont get to hibernate as the cold weather comes. No, we have to get up and walk to school in a sunny 5 degrees! Now, I know this really is nothing and when I'm walking her to school in the dark in the middle of winter, when its raining or perhaps even snowing, and its overcast and zero degrees, I'll look back at this post and laugh. But, autumn is well and truly here and it will take a bit of getting used to. Its not quite light when I get up in the mornings and when we wander to school, there are golden leaves falling into the canal. Its wonderful to see the change in seasons after so many years of living in Queensland but I really must find my winter gloves!

6 comments:

Rosebank Magic said...

Getting cold huh? That should be enough to make you feel homesick for a Brisbane spring without having to torture yourself listening/watching a Qantas ad. Still "I still call Australia home" does that to us all when we are away from Australia.

Destination Metz said...

I need winter gloves too! I can't believe how cold Autumn here is, it's like our winter.

guera said...

We love that book too! In fact Chiq's real nickname (not her blog nickname) is the name of one of the bears...
We are on the other end of the weather spectrum. It gets stinking hot here in summer (we are in the desert) and its only just starting to cool down a tiny bit - its forecast to be 36C today and it feels so much cooler!

Penny said...

Guera - well, I'm guessing its not Baxter! I think I know ;-). 36C - too hot for me!

Piero P Giorgi said...

A bed time story for Lilly. A little boy called Davide used to get up in the middle of winter and climb the slope behind his home, wading trough the snow to reach his school on the top of the hill. Sometimes he was coming back sking down the hill. He then survived all this to become a great dad together with a great mum from the antipodes. And they lived happily together for 100 years (classical ending of bed time stories).
Pierononno

Penny said...

But you forgot the cat! Nice story - thanks Nonno :)