Thursday, 9 August 2007

Oops!

Just when I think my french is coming along ok, something happens to make me realize how far I have to go. Our intercom buzzed this morning. Its just a normal intercom with a video so I can see who it is, but it always manages to un-nerve me. Today it was 2 men. One spoke to me. I really could not work out what he wanted but he was saying something about things for the owner. I took what I thought was the easy way out and said I was not interested. Though according to David who was still in bed, listening and no doubt sniggering away, I said I was not interesting! Well, then he said something else about the owner and I got very flustered. I started to think the 2nd guy WAS the owner of our apartment. Somewhere there I even managed to speak some spanish I was so ruffled. Eventually, he just said "ouvre la porte" and I did. I nervously waited outside my closed front door to see who it was, only to see 3 of them emerge from the lift and start knocking on my neighbours' doors. One of them spoke to me in english - they were a group of door-to-door marketeers selling shutters and blinds. I quickly told them we were renting and raced inside before my neighbours could see it was me who let them in the building. I think I need to just learn to hang up on people!

5 comments:

Rosebank Magic said...

Great story, I'm still having a laugh.

DestinationMetz said...

oh no! poor you. even in a common language marketers are so sneaky and get by many a savvy customer so don't be too hard on yourself and your language skills although "i'm not interesting" is quite funny! if you said that to door knocking mormons they'd probably say "that's okay, neither are we".

Miles Away In France said...

Thanks for making me smile.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one making mistakes with my French.
My daughter pointed out to me the other day that I had said to someone "I am an englishman" but I am actually a woman.
Racheal x

Penny said...

Racheal ~ Lily points out my mistakes to me too and she's only 4 :)

putyourflareon said...

OH, that happened to me once. They said the same thing, "Ouvre la porte". I don't open the door anymore to anyone I don't understand.