Friday, 31 August 2007

Now that's what I call breakfast

Following, I am sure, in the footsteps of many an expat aussie blogger, here is the obligatory post about Vegemite. If you're not Australian, I dont expect you to understand! I've done my best for the last 3 months to embrace a sweet, sugary breakfast. Indeed, it has been hard but I've forced myself to eat pain au chocolat, cruesli au chocolat, petales de blé...au chocolat even a really good jar of confiture des mûres (which lasted about 2 days in this household) but sometimes its nice to just have something savoury to put on the delicious bread here. So yesterday's parcel from Australia was well received - thanks Mum!




petales de blé au chocolat - wheat flakes with chocolat
confiture des mûres - blackberry jam

13 comments:

Rose said...

You must be in heaven, LOL! Look at that radiant smile!
I am going to the store right now and getting myself some.
I've always wanted to try Vegemite, and today will be the day!

Penny said...

Let me know how you like it Rose. But remember with Vegemite - less is more - a little bit goes a long way - and be sure to put plenty of butter on first :)

Emily said...

Can I try Vegemite with you sometime? Never had it before and I'm scared. ;)

Penny said...

Ha ha Emily! Anytime. Its always best to try these things out with an experienced user :)

Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rose said...

Darn! I didn't find it at either store, so I have to go to
http://www.simplyoz.com/

Rose

Destination Metz said...

Lovely photo, you look great! Vegemite is great, I gave some to Christophe to try once and he hated it (predictably)!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Penny - To those of us less, um, experienced, can you ecplain precisely 1) what is it that the yellow tube with such a vibrant name tastes like, and 2) WHY? LOL - I am confused, sister! Nutella is my namesake! One of my good friends is headed back home to germany tomorrow, for three weeks. She goes back twice a year and when she does, she returns with a huge jar of European Nutella for me! LOVE the stuff! CLMama

Penny said...

CLMama - its a hard taste to describe - salty, a bit yeasty and maybe a bit meaty - its got to be tried to be believed! Best served on piping hot white buttered toast, although almost equally yummy on everything else. And it can help perk up a flavourless roast gravy if you're in need :)

Beren1999 said...

Hello, I live pretty closed from Annecy and my australian boyfriend will be moving in France in December, so I would like to buy him vegemite but I dont know where to find some in France... I would be glad if you could help !!! Merci beaucoup !!! Berengere

Penny said...

Hi Berengere

That vegemite came from Australia. I dont think I've ever seen it in any shops in Annecy. You might have to order it online. Good luck :)

Beren1999 said...

Hello, OMG I was 99,99999 % sure you would said so... Anyway, I would love you to meet you so email me on my email adress and try to plan something ? thanks a lot
Berengere

Beren1999 said...

beren1999/at/gmail.com