Sunday, 3 June 2007

I can't stop loving it!

That's what Lily has to say about Annecy and I think we all feel the same way. Today we took a trip up into the mountains to celebrate the fête des mères (lucky me - I get the 2 mother's days this year!)

In keeping with our new no-car lifestyle, we took a bus up to the Semnoz which stands at about 1700m and on a clear day has a lovely view of Lake Annecy, La Tournette, one of the mountains we can see from Annecy and which has lately been snow capped and Mont Blanc which, of course, is the highest mountain in Europe.

There was a fair bit of cloud when we arrived but we could see La Tournette and got some glimpses of Mont Blanc. We also said hello to some cows feasting on the alpine pastures, wearing their cow bells!

We had a fabulous lunch of entrecôte aux forestières (yummy steak with mushroom sauce) and tartiflette (the local speciality - calling it potato bake does it a grave injustice but it is similar with cream, réblochon cheese and bacon). [Gen, we were on the same wavelength - I was probably eating it just as you were writing to tell me to try it!]. Served with a salad, crunchy bread and charcuterie (cold meats), it was really tasty and by far the best meal we have had here so far. (Mind you, with our currently high maintenance baby, we've only eaten out a couple of times).

After lunch, and just as I finished saying one of my typically long-winded and rather tortureous french sentences, the lady at the next table turned to us and congratulated us on teaching our children french so they become bilingual. It was a nice compliment to receive given that that's one of the main reasons we are here.

By the time we caught our return bus, the cloud had cleared and we could see glimpses of the lake on our decent. Once again, I almost had to pinch myself to believe that the beautiful town we could see below us is now our home.

5 comments:

Grominou2 said...

Haa tartiflette -- I salivate just thinking about it! :-p

Justine said...

Hi Penny,

Just a quick note to tell you that I saw your little car this morning. Seems it has moved out Mt Crosby way.

Sounds like you are having a great time and we are all only a little bit jealous!
Justine

James said...

I just read your latest blog this AM after getting an updated email from David....I'm very envious and I know Julie will be too when her gets to read this PM.

I can see it a bit of a stuggle now but it will be worth it.

Cheers...James

Trace and Kristin said...

So very jealous of your family's adventures!
Loved finding your blogspot in Dad's favourites so i can now keep up with your news

xxo
Trace and Kristin

Jennie said...

Congrats on the house! My PACSman and I just moved to a new apartment in Cran-Gevrier. Bye bye temporary living arrangements. It's nice to finally be settled!