Sunday, 20 May 2007

La Vielle Ville

After two days here, we have been able to move into our furnished apartment in the vielle ville where we will stay for 5 weeks (we have to move out for a week around Lily's birthday because of the animation festival). We are in a very old building which dates back to the 16th century with old hand hewn stone doorways and big flagstone stairs. Inside the apartment is quite modern and very comfortable. It looks out onto the main canal, the River Thiou which runs away from the lake. I'd expected the canals here to be peaceful slowflowing canals like those in Venice. But this water rushes away like a torrent. Arriving from dry old Brisbane, the water here seems so plentiful. There are wells and fountains everywhere and last night I had a deep bath (with only the tiniest bit of guilt!)

Its really nice to have a place to call home for a while and it seems to have made Lily very happy to have her own room. I think the travelling and uncertainty has been a little hard on her - she certainly has shown the french kids how to throw a real aussie tantrum. They both seem to have settled back into their old routines and are generally happy to go to bed at about 7pm despite the fact that its still broad daylight!

The coming week will be a busy one for us. First stop tomorrow is the Préfecture where I need to apply for my Carte de Séjour (residency permit). Having read many horror stories about the fickleness of french public servants and their refusals to part with these cards easily, I am a little nervous (despite the fact that I have the right to live here and I really DONT need a visa). Then we need to organise some banking and finally start the search for an apartment. Wish us bonne chance!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Congrats on finally making it to Annecy!

Grominou2 said...

I love reading about your French adventures!

Space Mom said...

COngrats! You are there! I am so excited!