Wednesday, 7 March 2007

Operation Piano

Yesterday, I said good-bye to my piano as two strong men wheeled it (rather recklessly I thought) down the stairs. Its going off to live on my parents' farm as there is no way we can afford to take it with us. Now, dont get the idea that I am particularly good at it - in recent years my repertoire has been limited to Für Elise and the first few bars of Moonlight Sonata - but I miss my piano already. I taught myself to play it one afternoon at my grandmother's house when I was about 7 out of a learn-to-play book. Later, it came to live at the family home and I did lessons for a few years, but never made it past the 3rd grade.

When I was about 25 and my parents made one of their many moves, it was put into storage until I moved somewhere more suitable than the second-storey flat I was living in. And one of the first things I did when I bought my renovator's delight, was to move it in up the rather rickety timbers stairs. I moved it out again when I sold up 7 years later - the house was still unrenovated but I put in a new set of stairs just to make sure the piano got down the stairs safely. And it went back into storage for a few months before we moved here. The last few years of babyland havent left a lot of time for playing but I did play every now and then and Lily liked to have a bash around. I just wish I'd made a point to sit down and play for five minutes before it was gone...but then again when do I ever get five minutes alone to do anything?

1 comment:

Space Mom said...

I don't know. I'll let you know if I ever get 5 minutes! :)