Wednesday, 31 January 2007

First Report

I heard from David today for the first time since he arrived in France. He spent Tuesday having a look around Annecy. His first adult impressions seem pretty favourable although I think there is more industrial area than he expected. He didnt get far with any real estate agents yet (its only day 1 after all!), but he's managed to confirm one important thing with the Préfecture. The French Consul in Brisbane has said that I do not require a visa to enter France because as the wife of an EU citizen I have a right to reside wherever David lives in the EU. But I have always worried that when we arrive and I apply for my carte de séjour that the Préfecture would require something different. But it seems not...so that is one less thing to worry about. I'm sure it all stems from my failed attempt to go to Paris when I was 21. In the aftermath of the Rainbow Warrier incident, France brought in a visa requirement for Australian citizens, of which I was unaware and I was turned away when I tried to get on the boat at Dover. I still wonder what would have happened had I made it to France at that age. Would I have become one of those young aussies who go overseas at the end of uni and never go home? Knowing me, I really doubt it... but at least I get my second chance in May!

No comments: